Electricity conservation does not mean doing
without electricity, but doing it wisely. Electricity conservation
means using the least amount of electricity without reduction in standards of basic goods
Electricity efficiency measures are divided into two main
- House keeping measures or no/low cost measures, like the
simple switching off of appliances or lights when not in use.
- High cost or with capital investment measures, like
changing incandescent to fluorescent lighting, or the installation of power capacitors.
The following basic
1. Switch on aircon units 30 minutes after the start of
office hours, switching it off 30 minutes before closing of office hours.
2. Switch off all office equipment running on electricity
such as typewriters, computers, copying machines, air pots, etc. when not in use. Unplug
it after office hours.
3. Switch off unnecessary lights and exhaust fans.
4. Switch off all lights, air-conditioning units, exhaust
fans, and other electrical equipment on non-working days.
5. General cleaning of offices is scheduled on Saturday to
6. Clean lighting diffuser to maximize illuminance.
7. Sticker saying SWITCH OFF WHEN NOT IN USE is
placed in all lighting switches.
8. Put off the exhaust fans while the aircon units are in
With a wasted kilowatt of electricity goes a lot of things.
You waste a kilowatt and you waste P5.00. You also waste precious oil, which will need
another 20 to 300 million years for it to be replaced. Most of all, you will waste a
chance of being able to help alleviate the delicate condition of our energy supply.